The krazy life of triathlon

Ribby Hall Triathlon

Well was a day of mixed results! I finished in 57.36, so very pleased to break the hour, which put me 15th overall, which I was happy with, but I think I was 3rd in my age group, so not too happy with that, but there were some quick guys there. I should also be in bed, as the clock change means I am up at stupid o’clock, so this could be a quick one.

Before the swim, I was actually getting nervous! Been a while, since I was nervous before a race, IMUK to be exact, and had god know how many loo stops before I started, but it was soon my time to go. I set off hard, being the last in my lane and felt really good, and holding a good stroke. Within about 8 lengths, I was overtaken by a woman who was on course to do about 5.40(!), so sat on her feet until the turn. She tumble turned, I normal turned, and I lost the draft. Just goes to show how much difference tumble turns make. Having not managed to start my watch at the start of the swim, I exited on about 3.20, having started my watch at half way, which I think probably puts me at around a 6.20/30 swim, so fairly happy with that.

I had a quick transition and caught a few people up and straight out on the bike. I was overtaken by a guy immediately in full aero gear/bike and managed to keep him in sight for a few k until the wind forced me back, and boy was it windy! I was still managing to hold a good pace, and came in under half an hour for the bike, which at about 17k was fairly pleased with, given the wind. The legs felt good, but not great. I suspect the illness during the week capped my top end, but I don’t think it would have cost me that much time. And I love my wheels, forgotten how quick they were!

Another quick transition and out onto the run, and this is where the illness really knocked me. Having run no more than 5k in the last week, the running legs weren’t exactly all there and I had pushed hard on the bike and was struggling to keep the ticking over. I got overtaken by a couple of people and tried to hold them but couldn’t. On the 2nd lap, they finally started to come good, and I settled into a really good stride and began to push the pace and pick people off.

It was rewarding coming in under the hour, and had definitely been a goal of mine for the season (I’ll ignore the missing 3k on the bike!). Although disappointed with my placing in the age group, I was only a minute off the winner of it. And thankfully I definitely couldn’t have given another minute, my heart rate was over 180 for the whole thing! Although if I had gone another 7 seconds quicker, I would have been in 13th! If you ignore the winner (who put in a stupidly quick time of 50 min) I was only about 2 minutes off 4th, so they were all pretty bunched! And I can be very pleased with that, I was a lot closer to the leading people that Fleetwood, where I was 15th also, and 1st M20-24. Waiting on the results to do a complete breakdown, but from what I can remember, everything was pretty good, with perhaps the run being a little down on everyone else.

This week it is back to normal training and building it back up from a couple of easy weeks. As it is Easter, it means that it is back home and a few days off work. So I am planning on having a busy weekend with some long miles in the saddle, and also the chance to get some long running back in, I have definitely been neglecting it. Not long to the Fred Whitton either, need to practise my long rides!

Train safe



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s